Hemorrhoids are pretty common nowadays, especially with our stressed lifestyles and bad eating habits. But pregnancy increases the chance of getting some health disorders like hemorrhoids manifold. A lot of women suffer from hemorrhoids during the pregnancy. There is no fixed timing of its occurrence. It can occur at any stage of pregnancy which can be during first, second or even third trimester. Some women also get it postpartum or post delivery.
So, if you already have it, how to get rid of hemorrhoids fast during pregnancy in the best way possible. Well, the most important factor here is to know that anything you try should be safe for the baby. Its always safety first. No medications with side effects will do.
The good news is that there are some simple ways to treat your hemorrhoids with home remedies. Natural things like witch hazel, aloe Vera have great healing properties and they can work really well. (Source)
We will outline some of the ways in which you can heal your hemorrhoids with home remedies.
1 Know your baths, more specifically sitz bath. If you have not heard about it, sitz bath is a simple way of soaking your pelvic area in warm water for 15 mins. This will keep the area clean and relieve you of itching and pain. There are bowls or small tubs available in the market, specifically for sitz baths. If you don’t need them, you can use any tub you can fit into. Just be safe and don’t get stuck in it or slip out and hurt yourself.
2. Use Ice packs – Ice packs can numb the area for a while and reduce swelling or pain. You can use readymade ice or cold packs or you can just put ice into a clean cloth and use it. Do it for a couple of times a day to reduce inflammation and swelling. If you feel any discomfort, just stop immediately.
3. Topical Applications – Now, there are quite a few things which can be used for healing hemorrhoids when you apply them over the affected area. The most common of these applications are given below
Coconut oil – Coconut oil gives a soothing effect and is good for inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Coconut can also moisturize the skin and keep it elastic. You just have to apply some coconut oil on the inflamed area. You can also use cotton ball for this. A couple of times during a day would be help you with pain. You can apply it after sitz bath or a bowel movement.
Witch hazel – This is an extract of a plant which has astringent qualities. It is also commonly used by cosmetic industry for this. Again it is a simple application which can be used 2-3 times a day. You can use it in extract form and apply it with cotton ball or you can use witch hazel pads which are easily available over the counter and on online stores.
Aloe vera – Everyone knows aloe vera and its benefits for natural healing especially for skin conditions. Using Aloe Vera is easy, you just have to apply the gel extracted from the leaves and apply it. Aloe vera plants are easy to find and you can grow them at your home.
Garlic – Garlic is a great natural remedy to prevent any infections. Crush 10-12 cloves of garlic and make a paste out of it. Although you can apply garlic directly, but it may cause some itching it is better to dilute it. To do that, just add some water and boil it. Let it cool down and rinse with it twice or thrice a day.
Epsom salt – Epsom salt is mainly made up of magnesium and suphate. It is a non – edible salt. You can add Epson salt o your sitz bath water to increase the effectiveness of your sitz baths, Do remember to wash the area with plain water after that.
Baking soda – Again baking soda can be used in the same way as Epsom salt mentioned above.
4. Drink Fluids – Drinking some fluids can help with hemorrhoids. Remember that your body should always be hydrated.
Water is the most important of them all/ Drink adequate amount of water
(8 glasses a day minimum) to flush out toxins, keep your digestive system clean and flexible and hydrate your skin.
Other drinks like pomegranate juice and butter milk also help. These are healthy drinks which can help you in more ways than one.
5. Avoid sitting or standing for long hours – When you are pregnant, there is an additional weight which you have to carry and this puts pressure on all your internal organs including spinal cord and digestive system. Your lower body is under immense pressure when you are sitting in pregnancy. Try not to be in the same position for a long time. And try to avoid sitting or standing for long hours. Take frequent breaks. Go for walks. Use pillows and cushions to sit.
6. Maintain regular bowel movements – Don’t delay going to the washroom for your bowel movements for any reason. This is to avoid any undue pressure within your digestive tract and prevent constipation. Again, don’t force it as well. In short avoid anything which builds up pressure, everything should be a smooth process. Try and have high fiber foods if you need. You can also try stool softeners.
Using stool under your feet when you are at the toilet seat will also help in proper alignment of your anus and colon.
7. Exercise – Finally, exercise is really good even when you are expecting a child. You don’t have to do all those vigorous and jerky movements. But in general exercise will improve blood circulation in your body. Kegel exercises also help you to strengthen the pelvic area. Avoid bending down or using stairs. Light exercises will also ensure that your body has strength and stamina needed for a confortable and enjoyable pregnancy.
These were some of the ways by which you can get rid of hemorrhoids in a fast, easy and natural way during pregnancy. You can start with anything you feel comfortable with.