Hemorrhoids are pretty common in runners. Although it’s not a cause but It is pretty common with runners.
We will share some causes of flare ups when you jog or run and what can do to prevent them. Some of these tips are quite simple and easy so they can save you a lot of trouble.
When you already have them running tends to aggravate them or make them worse. It some cases they may even start to bleed.
This is mainly because running is a high impact exercise and it impacts the whole body including kneed joints and the core. Any kind of high impact exercise can affect hemorrhoids and worsen the conditions you may have. That also includes exercises like weight lifting.
It is best to take care of the problem when it starts, ignoring it or taking it casually can lead to more problems in the future
Table Of Contents
Can Running Worsen Hemorrhoids
Jogging or running long distances involves a lot of repetitive movements which can irritate the perineal skin and hemorrhoidal tissue. There are two main reasons for this
First and the most common is related to constipation. Running is a high intensity exercise which involves movement of the core. Such exercises cause a pressure around the abdominal and anal area. This may also include bowel irritation leading to constipation, bloating and gas. Some runner’s tend to have an irritated stomach more commonly known as runner’s diarrhea
Ideally you should poop before a long run or marathon so that you have a clean stomach.
Proper hydration should also be taken care of. This will keep things moving inside.
Female athletes should be even more careful on the run especially if they are running soon after giving birth. This is due to increased progesterone hormone which causes vein tissue to become lose and swell up
Should I run with hemorrhoids?
A simple answer is YES you can but with some precautions. By taking care of it, you can prevent the flare ups and enjoy your exercise. or you can take up some other form of exercise like swimming which are not high impact and have softer movements.
Some Tips On Running With Hemorrhoids With No Pain Or Itching
Before the run
- High fiber foods – Eating high fiber foods before you go out for a run will help ease your gut
- Hydrate properly – Good hydration becomes even more important when you go out
- You should also try and wear loose and breathable clothing so that you don’t feel the heat and sweat too much leading to dehydration. Tightly fitted clothes can irritate the area
- It is better to use some Vaseline or baby oil in the perineal area to reduce friction from the repetitive movement of running.
During the run
- While running it is best to practice even and steady breathing which gives you more stability and reduces the chance of any kind of injury. You will also be more relaxed while running
- Second most important thing is to stay hydrated during the run. Not consuming water at regular intervals especially in long distance running can lead to dehydration and fatique. So make sure you keep yourself hydrated enough.
After the run
- When you have stopped sweating, take a shower preferably with warm water and change into clean clothes. Wet and sweaty clothes can irritate the skin or wound